First Name:  Last Name:   Spelling:  

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Rev. Jonathan Scott's Record of Marriages, 1797-1813

Rev. Jonathan Scott was installed July 27, 1796, as pastor in Poland, and after a brief loss of his pulpit was reinstalled as pastor of the First Church of Minot, Nov. 12, 1806. Previously he had filled the pulpit in Jebogue, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The sermon delivered by Rev. Allen Greely at Minot, Oct. 24, 1819 — the first Sabbath after Scott's death — may be read here.

Below are those marriage records of Rev. Scott which mention places in Oxford County.

Source: "Rev. Jonathan Scott's Record of Marriages," Mayflower Descendant, 1908 (10:83-85, 135-138).
[p. 83]
Wednesday, July ye 27 . 1796. This Day, after a regular Election, I was instaled Pastor of the Church of Poland: before which Time I married no Persons in the American States: but after my Instalment I considered myself qualified to marry, and acted accordingly, as may be seen in the following Page. Jonathan Scott.

[p. 84]
Tuesday, September ye 12 . 1797. This Day (after Lawful Publishment) Mr Oren Record of Buckfield, and Miss Susannah Johnson of Poland, were solemnly married, by Me, J. Scott.

Monday, October ye 30 . 1797. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Calvin Crooker, Resident in Hebron, and Miss Dorcas Casewell of Poland were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, November ye 16 . 1797 : This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Nathanael Buck, Junior, of Buckfield and Miss Sarah Seabury of Poland, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonn Scott.

Thursday-Evening, November ye 30 . 1797. This Evening Mr Joshua Whitman and Miss Lucretia Strickland, both of the Town of Turner, were Married, (in Turner) after lawful Publishment, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, November ye 29 . 1798: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr John Strickland, Junior, and Miss Rachel Smith, both of Turner, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, December ye 27 . 1798: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Moses Buck of Buckfield and Miss Salley Shaw of Poland, were solemnly Married by me, Jonathan Scott.

[p. 85]
Thursday, February ye 14 . 1799: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr John Allen of Buckfield and Miss Polley Clifford of Poland, were Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Monday, February ye 18 . 1799. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr George French of Turner, and Miss Wealthy Johnson of Poland, were married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, March ye 7 . 1799: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Asa Robinson of Paris, and Miss Eunice Woodward of Poland, were Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, March ye 14 . 1799: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Job French of Paris, and Miss Hannah True of Poland, were solemnly Married by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, May ye 2 . 1799: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr William Caldwell, of Hebron, and Miss Nancy Woodward, of Poland, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.


[p. 134]
Thursday, January ye 15 . 1801: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Jonathan Morse of Livermore and Miss Betsey Willcombe of Poland, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

[p. 135]
Monday, January ye 25 . 1802: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr David Abbott of Rumford, and Miss Betsy Colson of Poland, were Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, March ye 11 . 1802: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr William Sweatt of Oatisfield and Miss Clarasa Benson of Poland, were Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, February ye 21 . 1805. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Stephen Bradford of Turner, and Miss Mercy Chandler of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

[p. 136]
The same Day as above, Thursday, August ye 15 . 1805, Doctor Benjamin Chandler, of Hebron, and Miss Waty Benson of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, November ye 27 . 1806: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Stephen Safford, Junior, of Turner, and Miss Phebe Davis of Minot, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, January ye 29 . 1807: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Henry Record and Miss Olive Chandler, both of ye Town of Paris, were solemnly married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

[p. 137]
Tuesday, March ye 10 . 1807. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Benjamin Herring, Jur of Norway, and Miss Deborah Bradbury of Minot, were solemnly Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, November ye 5 . 1807: This Day, (after lawful Publishment) Mr James Harsey, Junior, of Sumner and Miss Olive Freeman of Minot, were solemnly Marriaged, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, December ye 24 . 1807. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Stephen Bradford of Turner, and Miss Mercy Chandler of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, December ye 24 : 1807: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Josheph Shackley ["Joseph, in The Contents"], of Norway, and Miss Hannah Densmore, of Minot, were Married, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Friday, April ye 21 . 1809: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Charles Records of Buckfield, and Miss Salley Noyes of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

[p. 138]
Thursday, November ye 9 . 1809: This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr Reuel Philips of Turner, and Miss Betsey True of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, December ye 7 . 1809: This Day, Mr John Harris of Turner, and Miss Betsey Record of Minot, were solemnly Married, by me, J. Scott.

Thursday, April ye 25 . 1811. This Day (after lawful Publishment) Mr David Briggs of Buckfield and Mrs Mary Bradford, Widow, of Minot, were joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Thursday, September ye 26 . 1811. Thay, Day [sic] (after lawful Publishment) Mr Job Morton, of Hebron, and Miss Susanna Whitman of Minot, were joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

Monday, October ye 11 . 1813: This Day (after lawful Publishmen) Mr Jeremiah Stepens, Junior ["Stephens, in The Contents"], of Jay and Miss Lydia Ellis of Minot, were solemnly joined in Marriage, by me, Jonathan Scott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home